Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday, 4/29

Took the grass skirt off this week. Decided that no matter how well I got it rendered, the shape and placement was always going to suggest wings. Not what I had in mind at all. Going to experiment with a buffalo-type hide instead.

I got these images from the sculpture in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. One of those beautifully rendered, totally forgettable sculptures that dot the urban landscape, and which I have come to respect, if not love.

I think the textures are particularly well done on this one, and not having a buffalo handy, I decided to use these for reference.





So, got home early from work today. Had 30 minutes in the studio. Being a sculptor with two kids and a full time job means you gotta be quick. Ask Darla.



Going back to the tinfoil. Makes it look insulated.





More tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! So true! All sculptors need little sculptor helper monkies...oh wait, maybe thats what the kids are for? who knows. Anyway, I love that sculpture in front of the PMA too. I sat there and sculpted the deer from it once and loved every minute of it. I like the idea of a buffalo hide. And the only person I can think of that I've seen make grass stuff look like grass stuff is nicola hicks but thats because it was all hay mixed with plaster...http://cuilcheanna.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/img_40212.jpg
    Thanks for the shout out yo!

    ReplyDelete